Froggie’s Homestyle Three Cheese Mac n Cheese
8 ounces pasta, prepared according to direction and drain (elbow, spirali, rigati, vermicelli, farfella, etc)
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Two cups three-cheese grated Italian or Mexican blend
1 cup crushed Supreme Cheddar chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk and cream to roux slowly, whisking constantly for several minutes until smooth. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Remove from heat and stir in macaroni until well blended. Pour into large casserole dish or single serve ramekins.
- Sprinkle crushed cheese chips over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Serve. You can sprinkle a bit of parsley on top for added color if desired.
By using cream in the sauce, you get this extremely smooth, soft consistency that clings to the contours of the pasta and prevents the macaroni and cheese from drying out . There are a lot of recipes out there that don’t provide this, so be careful.