• 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
• 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
• 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 Tbsp parsley
• 4 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan, romano and asiago cheese
• 1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
• 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and blotted w/paper towel
• 4 slices mozzarella cheese (about a 1/4 inch thick)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice a chicken breast in half lengthwise, leaving the halves attached on one side: opened and laid flat, the chicken breast should resemble a butterfly. Flatten by meat mallet if desired. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
Place strips of roasted pepper on bottom half of the breast. Make sure you cover the entire bottom with the pepper if you’d like the pepper flavoring in every bite. Place mozzarella cheese slice on top of pepper. Place top half of breast on top. Spray Pam or other oil on bottom of baking dish lay chicken breasts down close to one another (this is to prevent overcooking and drying out of breast). Combine grated cheeses, Italian seasoning and pepper, and sprinkle over chicken breasts. Spray Pam on top of the prepared breasts. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Set oven to broil, and continue cooking for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove from oven, slice to display the colorful filling, and serve on top of pasta with alfredo sauce. You can drizzle some alfredo sauce directly over the chicken for added flavor and moistness.
Suggested sides: steamed asparagus, Caesar salad, garlic toast
Suggested wine: Pinot Gris, Italian Chianti
This is an elegant, easy and delicious dish!